The best 125mm angle grinder will grind, cut, polish, and remove paint or rust on the metal. This angle grinder will also sharpen blades, remove mortar, and cut bricks and tile.
The 125mm grinder uses different discs for these jobs. The 125mm grinder is the same as the 5-inch angle grinder. The motor of the grinder rotates the discs at high speed, and the abrasive material on the disc completes the task.
The angle grinder works on brass, copper, or iron with different discs used for different tasks.
In this buyer’s guide, I’ve discussed the important features of a 125mm grinder, and our reviews reveal the features of each 125mm grinder.
Top 125mm Angle Grinders
[amazon box=”B07D6G7NYS, B00005Q7BG, B00WJOX9EY, B00FNDMZIO, B07W3R1B2X, B00HG4QIG8, B00004YOGZ, B00004TQH9, B075D8YBST, B0928T936H” price=”none” template=”table”]
Top 10 Best 125mm Angle Grinders:
1. Dewalt XR 125mm Angle Grinder Bare Unit
[amazon fields=”B07D6G7NYS” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”Dewalt XR 125mm Angle Grinder Bare Unit”]
The Dewalt XR 125-millimeter angle grinder bare unit offers the paddle-switch operation, an electronic stop, an electronic clutch, Soft Start, Power-off™ overload protection, and a keyless protective guard.
The paddle switches and the electronic stop help protect you by shutting it off instantly when you release the paddles.
The electronic clutch controls the kickback reaction. Soft Start controls the speed at start-up to prevent the 125-millimeter grinder from jerking.
The Power-off™ overload protection shuts the grinder off if it starts to overheat due to an overload. With its ergonomic design, the rubber over-mold, and two-position side handle, this 125-millimeter grinder offers better grip, control, and comfort.
The 18-volt, 9,000-rpm, 800-watt, fixed-speed, brushless motor provides more power to help you complete tasks. A mesh cover restricts dust from entering it.
You can attach discs to an M14 spindle with a quick-change flange and a blade wrench.
This cordless 125-millimeter grinder weighs 4.84 pounds (1.75 kilograms) and uses a lithium-ion battery.
- The electronic clutch controls the kickback reaction
- The 9,000-rpm, brushless motor provides power to help you complete tasks
- The mesh cover protects the motor from dust
- A quick-change flange help you load the discs
- This 125-millimeter grinder is cordless. So it can be used where you need it
- It only weighs 4.84 pounds
- The Dewalt XR Angle 125-millimeter Grinder doesn’t offer variable speed
- This cordless 125-millimeter grinder can run out of a charge before you are done
2. Makita 125 millimeter SJS High-Power Angle Grinder
[amazon fields=”B00005Q7BG” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”Makita 125 millimeter SJS High-Power Angle Grinder”]
The Makita 5″ SJS High-Power 125-millimeter Angle Grinder provides variable five-speed settings from 2,800 to 10,500 RPMs so, you can do tasks requiring slower and higher speeds such as polishing metal and cutting masonry.
The Soft Start feature prevents jerking as the 125-millimeter grinder speed increases during starts.
The constant speed control assures you that the 125-millimeter grinder will not slow down when the workload increases, while the SJS clutch technology prevents damage if it is stuck.
The electronic limiter adds motor-burnout protection from overloads. Zig-zag seals prevent dust from reaching the motor and bearings.
With a 5/8″-11 spindle, the wheel guard can be attached without using a tool, and the side handle can be placed on the right or left side of the 125-millimeter grinder.
The 13.0-amp, 120-volt, 800-watt motor provides the power needed to complete tasks. It weighs 5.2 pounds and offers a lock-on switch for easy operation.
- The constant speed control prevents the 125-millimeter grinder from slowing down
- The variable speed control permits you to do more tasks
- The side handle provides a left or right side option
- Seals protect the motor and bearings from dust
- A lock-on switch provides easy operation
- The wheelguard offers toolless attachment
- The constant speed control could be a safety issue if the 125-millimeter grinder is stuck
- Lock-on switches can be a safety issue
3. Bosch 125-millimeter Angle Grinder
[amazon fields=”B07B8RBPM9″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”Bosch 125-millimeter Angle Grinder”]
The Bosch 125-millimeter Angle Grinder features direct-motor cooling, a 2,800-rpm to 11,000-rpm variable-speed control, multiple-position paddle switches, restart protection, and dust-guard.
The direct-motor cooling provides higher overload protection, and the dust-guard offers a single-screw depth adjustment and stabilizing footplate. With the variable speed control, you can polish metal and cut masonry.
Kickback is eliminated with the restart protection, and the constant electronics don’t allow the 125-millimeter grinder to slow down. It includes durable carbon brushes with service minders.
The 5.3-pound 125-millimeter grinder has a two-position handle for more comfort and control. The Bosch 5125-millimeter angle grinder with its 13-amp, 120-volt motor has the power and the features to help you complete tasks.
- The dust-guard offers a single-screw depth adjustment and stabilizing footplat
- The restart protection slowly increases the speed at start-up to avoid jerking
- The constant electronics prevents the 125-millimeter grinder from slowing down because of an increased workload
- This 125-millimeter grinder provides carbon brushes with service minders
- The variable-speed control let’s you set the speed for the task you are doing
- The two-position side handle allows you to adjust it so you are comfortable
- The constant electronics could be a safety issue if the 125-millimeter grinder gets jammed
- It weights more than other 125-millimeter grinders
4. Metabo 125 mm Angle Grinder
[amazon fields=”B00WJOX9EY” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”Metabo 125 mm Angle Grinder”]
The Metabo 125-millimeter angle grinder offers variable-speed control, electronic overload protection, Soft Start, restart protection, gear reduction, and dust guard.
The Vario-Tacho-Constamatic (VTC) and Full Wave Electronics with Thumbwheel allow you to set a constant speed and know that the 125-millimeter grinder won’t slow down even when it encounters an extra workload.
The Metabo S-automatic Torque Limiting Clutch prevents kickback if the 125-millimeter grinder jams. The twist-proof, adjustable guard is tool-free, and the gear housing can be rotated for use by left-handers.
This powerful 125-millimeter angle grinder has a 120-volt, 1550-watt, 13.5-amp motor and a 5/8″ – 11 UNC arbor. The 6.5-pound 125-millimeter grinder has an 8-foot cord, so you will have to work near an outlet.
- The Metabo 125-millimeter angle grinder provides restart protection and gear reduction
- This corded 125-millimeter grinder won’t lose its charge
- It provides a dust guard to protect the motor
- The adjustable guard is tool-free
- The gear housing can be rotated for use by left handers
- It has a powerful 120-volt, 1550-watt, 13.5-amp motor
- It has an 8-foot cord, so you need to be near an outlet
- It weighs 6.5 pounds
5. Diment Power 125-millimeter Angle Grinder
[amazon fields=”B07W3R1B2X” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”Diment Power 125-millimeter Angle Grinder”]
The Diment Power 125-millimeter Angle Grinder offers Power-off Protection, two carbon brushes, and a rubber-covered support handle. Power-off Protection won’t let the 125-millimeter grinder start on its own after a power disruption.
The rubber-covered support handle provides comfort, better control, reduced vibration, less fatigue, and greater balance. It has a powerful 850-watt motor with 13,000-rpm for heavy-duty tasks.
The Diment Power 125-millimeter Angle Grinder includes the auxiliary handle, the two carbon brushes, protect guard, a Spanner wrench, a user manual, and a 24-month warranty.
- A pair of carbon brushes is incorporated into the 125-millimeter grinder
- The rubber-covered support handle provides comfort, better control, reduced vibration, less fatigue, and greater balance
- The Power off Protection prevents the 125-millimeter grinder from restarting on its own after a power disruption
- The protect guard prevents debris from hitting you
- This 125-millimeter grinder is cordless. So it can be used where you need it
- The Diment Power 125-millimeter Angle Grinder includes the auxiliary handle, the two carbon brushes, protect guard, a Spanner wrench, a user manual, and 24 month warranty
- Since it’s corded, it must be used near an outlet
- Electric 125-millimeter angle grinders can be heavier because of the copper motor windings
6. Makita 9005B 5-Inch Angle Grinder
[amazon fields=”B00004YOGZ” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”Makita 9005B 5-Inch Angle Grinder”]
The Makita 125 mm Angle Grinder provides 12,000-RPMs for the power to complete heavy-duty tasks and an AC/DC lock-on switch for alternative power sources. The side handle can be attached for right- or left-handers.
To provide easy disc changes, the grinder offers a 5/8-inch-11 UNC spindle lock. The ball-bearing construction provides durability.
The 6.6-pound, double-insulated 125-millimeter grinder has a powerful 120-volt, 9-amp motor, and a wheel guard to protect you from flying debris.
- This Makita 125-millimeter grinder is double insulated and has a wheel guard to protect you from flying debris
- You can attach the side handle on the right or the left side for right- or left-handers
- The spindle lock provides easy disc changes
- The 12,000 rpm motor has the power for rugged tasks and the AC/DC lock-on switch adapts to alternative power sources
- The 120-volt, 9-amp motor provides the required power for your work
- This 125-millimeter angle grinder features ball bearing construction for durability
- It is heavier than other 125-millimeter angle grinders.
- The cord limits where you can work.
7. DEWALT DW831 5-Inch Angle Grinder
[amazon fields=”B00004TQH9″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”DEWALT DW831 5-Inch Angle Grinder”]
The Dewalt 125-millimeter Angle Grinder offers a sliding on-and-off switch, keyless adjustable guard, a two-position rear handle design, and external brush caps.
The two-position rear handle provides more comfort and control, and the brush caps are more easily accessible. The keyless guard attaches easily and protects you from flying debris.
The high-speed 12-amp, 11,000 rpm motor includes a sealed ball and roller bearings for longer life. The case of the 7.5-pound 125-millimeter grinder dissipates heat to prevent damage to the motor.
The Dewalt 125-millimeter Angle Grinder includes a grinding wheel, keyless adjustable guard, two-position side handle. wrench, backing flange, and clamp nut.
- The external brush caps are easily accessible
- Attaching the guard is easy with the keyless feature. Then, you are protected from flying debris
- The heat is dissipated by the case thus protecting the motor and providing longer life
- You can just slide the on-and-off switch
- For more comfort and control, the two-position handle is in the rear
- You can complete tasks quickly with the high-speed motor
- This 125-millimeter grinFder is heavier than other grinders
- The sliding on-and-off switch could be a safety issue
8. DFESKAH 125-millimeter Pneumatic Angle Grinder
[amazon fields=”B08JLJ85KF” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”DFESKAH 125-millimeter Pneumatic Angle Grinder”]
The DFESKAH 125-millimeter Pneumatic Angle Grinder is sold as a package that includes the 125-millimeter grinder, a guard, a quick connector, a 125-millimeter * 6 * 22-millimeter grinding wheel, a 20-millimeter card hole wrench, an open 14-millimeter galvanized wrench, goggles, earplugs, and gloves.
With 11,000 RPMs, this 125-millimeter grinder can handle heavy-duty jobs. The removable side handle allows for two-handed operation.
It is lightweight at 3.6 pounds. The air pressure of its pneumatic power source is 90 PSI, and the air consumption is 4 CFM with an air inlet of 1/4-inch.
- Because it is pneumatic-powered, this 125-millimeter grinder only weighs 3.6 pounds
- This 125-millimeter grinder is part of a kit
- The kit includes the grinder, a disc, a guard, two wrenches, goggles, earplugs, and gloves
- The grinder provides 11,000 rpm for heavy-duty jobs
- The removable handle allows one- or two-handed operation
- It has an air pressure of 90 PSI, an air consumpion of 4 CFM, and an air inlet of 1/4-inch
- The 90 psi may not be enough power for big jobs
- You have to work near your compressor
9. AB Tools 125-millimeter Air Angle Grinder
[amazon fields=”B075D8YBST” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”AB Tools 125-millimeter Air Angle Grinder”]
The AB Tools 125-millimeter air angle grinder features 10,000 rpm to complete tasks. It includes variable speed control allowing you to polish metal at a lower speed and cut masonry at a higher setting.
For your safety, it provides an anti-rotation protective guard.
The air pressure for this 125-millimeter grinder is 90 PSI, and the air consumption is 6 CFM with an air inlet of 1/4-inch.
The 4.82-pound 125-millimeter grinder offers heavy-duty construction and a steel guard.
The side handle provides better comfort and control.
- The AB Tools 125-millimeter air angle grinder provides 10,000 RPM
- The side handle allows better control
- It only weighs 4.82 pounds
- The variable speed control allows you to perform a variety of tasks
- The air pressure for this 125-millimeter grinder is 90 PSI, and the air consumption is 6 CFM with an air inlet of 1/4-inch
- It is equipped with anti-rotation protective guard to prevent flying debris
- You have to work near your air compressor
- It only offers 90 PSI of power
10. DCA 125-millimeter Angle Grinder
[amazon fields=”B07M8RGXHK” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_align=”center” image_alt=”DCA 125-millimeter Angle Grinder”]
The DCA 125-millimeter Angle Grinder has a side handle for better comfort and control and a guard to protect you from flying debris.
The 6.6-pound 125-millimeter grinder is compact, so it will fit in tight workspaces. It has a powerful 11,800 RPM, 1200 watt motor that will complete heavy-duty tasks. 115-millimeter discs will fit on this 125-millimeter angle grinder.
However, 125-millimeter discs cover more work surfaces so tasks are completed faster. 125-millimeter discs also provide deeper cuts than 115-millimeter discs. 125-millimeter angle grinders and discs are the same as 5-inch grinders and discs
- The DCA 125-millimeter angle grinder has a side handle for better comfort and control
- It has a 11,800-RPM, 1200-watt motor to complete heavy-duty tasks
- It is compact so it can fit in tight workspaces
- The guard protects you from flying debris
- 115-millimeter discs will fit on this 125-millimeter angle grinder. However, 125-millimeter discs cover more work surface so tasks are completed faster
- 125-millimeter discs also provide deeper cuts than 115-millimeter discs
- You have to work near your air compressor
- It only offers 90 PSI of power
Things to Consider Before Buying
A 125mm angle grinder will either use an electric motor or compressed air as a power source. With an electric 125mm grinder, you can choose either a 125mm corded grinder or a 125mm cordless grinder.
The cordless grinder can offer more flexibility when you can’t bring your project to your workshop, but your work time is limited to the length of the charge. That means a 125mm corded grinder becomes a better choice for most tasks.
The 125 mm air angle grinder offers better precision because they don’t have copper motor windings. So, pneumatic grinders are smaller and lighter. Angle grinders do include small electric pencil grinders and large pneumatic grinders.
However, a small electric 125mm angle grinder may not provide enough power for some tasks.
You need different types of discs to perform different tasks. The discs have abrasive surfaces intended to suit the desired job, and the thickness of the discs varies.
If you use one with the wrong abrasive surface, you won’t get the results you want. If you use one that is too thin, it could break. Some discs are designed to require less pressure, so they are more comfortable to use.
To avoid breaking discs when cutting, let the grinder proceed at its own pace. Here is a list of discs for you to consider.
- Sanding discs use a phenolic resin, hard plastic, or medium-hard rubber backing.
- Grinding discs are available in carbide, aluminum, and diamond-tipped backing.
- Cutting discs are thinner. The thinnest cutting discs (1.0mm and 1.3mm) are used for thin gauge metals, tubular forms, and metal pipes.
- Cutting tile, stone, or masonry requires a masonry cutting tool. While they are less fragile than other discs, they will chip and break. So, for safety and better results, replace these discs frequently.
- Stripping discs offer a coarse grit fiber surface, a flap disc, or a rapid strip disc to remove paint or rust from wood or metal. As with hand sanding, you want to start with coarse grit and finish wîth a finer grit. Removing rust requires a 60 or 80 grit disc.
- Metal cleaning discs use a surface of metal wires twisted together. Sometimes, bits of wire will break off and fly. So use PPE.
- Deburring is best done with a Rapid Strip disc that won’t damage your project.
- Concrete and masonry cutting discs should have a diamond blade.
- Sharpening tools require an abrasive grinding disc.
- Removing mortar takes either a thick abrasive grinding disc or a masonry cutting wheel.
- Polishing wheels consist of cotton or other soft material that adds a layer of polish.
Disc sizes are shown in inches and millimeters. In the US, they are available in 4-inch, 4.5-inch, 5-inch, 6-inch, 7-inch, 9-inch, and 12-inch discs. Pneumatic discs offer smaller sizes. Larger discs require more power. Most discs for home use are 4 and 4.5-inches.
The 125mm angle grinder is a 5-inch angle grinder, and a 115mm angle grinder is a 4.5-inch angle grinder. 4.5 angle grinders are less expensive and more compact so, they can fit in small spaces.
However, a 5 angle grinder has more power and will provide a deeper cut. The 5 angle grinder will also cover more work surfaces and complete a task faster.
125mm angle grinders offer fixed and variable speeds. Whether you are using a fixed or variable speed grinder, make sure your grinder isn’t exceeding the speed recommendation of the disc you’re using.
A fixed-speed 125mm grinder operates at 11,000 to 12,000-RPMs. Some variable speed grinders will slow down to 2,800-RPMs, which is useful for tasks such as polishing.
When shopping for a 125-millimeter angle grinder, remember that a motor with higher wattage can cut through denser materials, and brushless motors provide more power.
A 5-inch angle grinder should provide 750-watts of output power, 11,000-RPMs, and 3.4-Nm of torque.
A 125-millimeter angle grinder weighs 2.4-kilograms or 5.3-pounds.
Some recommended safety features include paddle switches, slow-start, restart protection, and anti-kickback.
- Always wear PPE, including a full face shield, safety glasses, mask, earplugs, and work gloves.
- Don’t operate a grinder without the guard attached.
- Place workpieces in a secure vise.
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- Make sure anyone else in your work area is behind you and out of the path of any debris.
- Make sure that your 125mm grinder is equipped with a dead man switch.
- Check the expiry date on your discs before using them.
- Unplug your grinder when you’re not using it
- Keep your grinder out of the reach of children.
- Don’t use a cutting blade on an angle grinder.
Comfort and Control
With an adjustable guard and a side handle on a 5-inch angle grinder, you will be dividing the workload between both arms, and you can adjust the guard for comfort.
The discs are slid on the spindle or arbor and then locked in place.
The 125-millimeter angle grinders have a 5/8-11 spindle, which means the diameter is 5/8-inch and has 11 threads per inch. If a spindle is marked M10 or M14, that means it is 10 or 14-millimeters.
Price and Warranties
When you are comparing prices, consider what you are receiving from higher-priced items. You will own the angle grinder for the long term.
So, for the amount of time you will own it, is the difference in price worth the extra benefits you will receive?
You should also compare the warranties of the angle grinders you are considering. They are just as important as the features included.
What can we Do With a 125 mm Angle Grinder?
Whether smoothing or roughing a surface for painting, a 125mm grinder will make your sanding chore easier.
Remove Old Paint or Rust
A portable 125mm cordless grinder can go anywhere in your house or yard to remove paint and rust from metal surfaces.
You can remove rough spots in welds or around holes on metal surfaces with a 125mm angle grinder for welding.
A 125mm angle grinder can also help you remove rusty bolts.
Use a 125mm angle grinder to create a decorative finish on stainless steel or other metals.
A 125mm angle grinder can help you keep the blades on your tools sharp.
A 125mm powerful angle grinder can cut through tile, stone, and brick to help you with bathroom tiles and garden bricks.
To repair brick walls, use your 125mm grinder to easily remove the mortar.
Roughing a Surface
Some paints will not adhere well to a smooth surface. An angle grinder will allow you to add a little texture so the paint will adhere better.
Cut Workpiece in Place
Since angle grinders are portable, you can cut and do other tasks leaving the Workpiece in place rather than moving it to your workshop.
4-1/2-inch Vs 125 mm Angle Grinder
A 4.5-inch grinder is 115-millimeters, and a 125-millimeter grinder is 5-inches. So the discs for the 125-millimeter angle grinder are 0.5-inch or 10 millimeters larger.
Since the discs are larger, the grinder is less compact and larger to hold, maneuver, and fit in tight spaces. The 5 inch also costs a little more.
However, the 125-milliliter discs will cover more work area and complete the task faster. They also provide a deeper cut.
Since the boreholes and the rpm ratings on the 115-millimeter and 125-millimeter discs are the same, you can use 115-millimeter discs on a 125-millimeter angle grinder.
So if you buy a 5-inch grinder to replace a 4.5-inch one, you don’t have to replace all your discs.
125 mm Angle Grinder Pros and Cons
- The 5-inch discs cover more workspace.
- The 125-millimeter angle grinder provides a deeper cut.
- The 125-millimetr grinder is also more powerful.
- Since the discs are larger and the grinder is more powerful, you can complete tasks faster.
- You can use 115-milimeter discs on a 125-millimeter grinder. So, if you trade up in size, you don’t have to replace all your discs.
- The 125-millimeter angle grinder isn’t as compact and doesn’t fit in as small of spaces.
- The 5-inch grinder costs a little more.
1. Are 125mm and 5 Inch Angle Grinder the Same?
Yes, the 125mm and the 5-inch angle grinder are the same.
2. Can you Use a 115mm Disc in a 125mm Angle Grinder?
Since the borehole and the rpm rating are the same for the 115mm and 125mm discs, then, yes, you can use a 115mm disc in a 125mm angle grinder.
3. How Deep does a 125mm Angle Grinder Cut?
The 125mm or 5 angle grinder will cut 38-millimeters deep, and the 115mm or 4.5 angle grinder cuts 30-millimeters deep.
So, What’s The Best 125mm Angle Grinder?
After reviewing the angle grinders, I have selected the DeWalt XR Angle Grinder Bare Unit as the best 125mm angle grinder. It offers the ease of operation of paddle switches and a keyless protective guard.
With Soft Start, you won’t experience any jerking as the speed increases. For safety, it includes an electronic stop, electronic clutch, and Power-off™ overload protection.
The electronic stop ceases the operation of the grinder if you release the paddle switch, which keeps you from being injured.
The Power-off™ overload protection and the electronic clutch prevent damage to the motor. The two-position side handles, ergonomic, and rubber over-mold provide better grip, control, and comfort. This lightweight DeWalt grinder provides 18 volts, 800 watts, and 9,000 rpm.
The mesh cover protects the motor from dust by the mesh cover, and the quick-change flange makes disc changes easy.
All these features make the DeWalt XR Angle Grinder Bare Unit a grinder that can complete the tasks you want to do with built-in safety and durability.
Many DIY lovers and engineers want to build something cool in their garages. What's cooler than a kit airplane? In this setup, the builder receives parts and puts them together in their own space....
Diamond blades have various uses, from cutting tiles and glass to cutting gems and semiconductor materials. If you’re planning to start a renovation or building project, you’ll need a diamond...